Roofing materials in Georgia’s hot and humid climate may not have to fight off snow and ice, but you still want to choose the right roof for your house. Aesthetics will be one thing to consider, of course, because you want your home to look great. But the material you choose, its weight, cost, and installation requirements are also significant factors to consider. Companies that provide roofing services in Dunwoody can help you weigh your options and determine what’s right for your home.
If you live in a neighborhood that has a homeowner’s association (HOA), be sure to check with them because HOAs sometimes restrict the type of roofing material that be used. Almost all of them approve asphalt shingles, but many no longer permit wood shakes due to concerns about fire.
What Looks Best?
Choosing the type of roofing for your house can be daunting. There are many materials available today: asphalt, cedar, metal, wood shakes, rubber, copper, slate, and clay tile, concrete tile, and more.
Clay tile roofs can give a house a Mediterranean look. Metal roofs offer a unique look. Wood shake shingles were often used in the past. But the most popular choice, by far, for residential roofs is asphalt shingles–and there are many good reasons why.
Asphalt shingles are:
· Lightweight: Most homes are already equipped for asphalt shingles as they add little weight to a roof. Heavy materials like slate or clay tiles add a significant amount of weight and usually require additional structural support, adding both costs and time to an installation project.
· Inexpensive: Roof costs for an asphalt shingle roofing system are less expensive than other types of roofs. They’re one of the most affordable options available.
· Durable: Asphalt shingles are known for their durability. How long a roof will last depend on a number of factors: climate, weather events, installation, quality of the materials used, and care and maintenance. The lifespan of an asphalt roof can range from 10 to 40 years, with the average residential roof lasting from 15 to 20 years.
· Ease of Installation and repair: A good roofing contractor can usually install an asphalt shingle roof in just 1 to 3 days. Plus, repairs are relatively easy and inexpensive. For example, if you discover minor damage after a storm, it’s easy to replace a few shingles.
· Color Options: Asphalt shingles offer a wide range of colors, textures, and patterns, so it won’t be hard to find a look that’s perfect for your house.
A roof represents a significant expense, so it can help if you think of it as a long-term investment that will yield long-term benefits, because that’s really what it is. One reason asphalt shingles are popular is that they’re the least expensive, most cost-effective option, both for installation and for repairs.
With proper maintenance, you can keep your roof in good shape. Handling small problems quickly helps you avoid big problems. Timely inspections of the exterior and interior areas, roof perimeter, joints, and drainage can identify potential leaks or other problems. Regular roof inspections and maintenance help keep your roof healthy help retain your homes appearance.
Making a Decision
Whatever type of roof you decide is right for your home, it’s important to choose a company that does roof installations in Dunwoody that cares about craftsmanship, customer service, and value. Look for a roofing company that is fully licensed, insured, and qualified to install the roofing system you want.